Name: Sode (a greek word that means to rescue, to restore)
Purpose: Give hope to the hopeless. End human trafficking, Rescue women from a life of rape and torture, then restore them through sustainable methods, educate them in finance and entrepreneurship, and also give them the platform to create local business. We have become a global leader on how to get trafficking survivors reintegrated into a new life.
Locations: Currently working in Thailand, Cambodia, Bulgaria, South Africa, Sierra Leone and the United States.
Ben’s Community Service
- Touchdowns for Tomorrow trivia night– Raised money to help empower at risk teenage students to make life choices that positively impact their future through community-based mentoring and intensive training.
- 16 ways foundation youth football camp– A camp to help at risk youth, designed to build self-esteem, promote responsibility for one’s own actions and learn to overcome obstacles.
- Sports Authority Holiday shopping spree– An opportunity to give underprivileged kids a better Christmas.
- Target Christmas shopping spree– An opportunity to give homeless families a Christmas they otherwise wouldn’t have.
- Gave a speech to Kennedy high school’s football team, then stayed to run drills with their offensive line.
- Hometown Huddle– Helping kids from boys and girls club learn the importance of exercise.
- Drive for life– A blood drive to raise awareness and get more people to donate blood; each donation saves three lives.
- Spoke at Charles Hay World Elementary School on the importance of following your dreams.
- Surprised a kid after his 6th heart surgery with Broncos gear to cheer him up.
- Visit to Legacy’s high school football team, spoke to the team at practice before a big game then stayed and helped coach the team.
- Holiday party at Denver Rescue Mission– Gives a Christmas party to underprivileged families.
- Humane Society photo shoot– Pictures were taken of players with puppies to raise awareness of the humane society and save animals lives.
- Moms football safety clinic – Teaching moms to teach their kids how to play football safely.
- Champ Camp – A free football camp for at risk youth to learn how to play football and be a better man or woman.
- Volunteered at Boys and Girls Club– Kids got to meet pro athletes and see that people really do care about them.
- High Point Church Community outreach program– speak to kids at elementary school to inspire them to be better men and women.
- Vons Vision – A fundraiser to give kids glasses that can’t afford them.
- Gave a speech to Eaglecrest high school on the importance of hard work and following their dreams.
- Surprised a kid with Down Syndrome in Cincinnati and went to dinner with him and his family.
- Gave a speech at the Air Force Academy to the Intramural Champions on the keys to success.
- Sode Corn Hole Tournament– Organized the tournament as a fundraiser to help support my foundation.
- Visit to Rocky Mountain Children’s hospital– Visit children with severe illnesses to lift their spirits.
- Broncos Bunch– An opportunity for kids to meet and play football with professional athletes.
- Sweater party fundraiser– Raised money for shopping spree for underprivileged kids.
- Men for the Cure– Fundraiser to raise money for breast cancer research.
- Global Down Syndrome Fashion show– raised almost 2 million dollars towards down syndrome research.
- Volunteered with Elevate– A program for underprivileged kids to prepare and help them get accepted into college.
- Visit to Peterson Air Force Base– Players and cheerleaders visited the base to boost moral for the troops.
- NSCD ability clinic– An opportunity for children and adults with disabilities to meet and play football with professional athletes.
- Bowl n Bark– Fundraiser for the Humane Society of the South Platte Valley.
- Playworks– Teach kids the importance of physical fitness.
- Volleyball tournament– Raised 10,000 dollars to startup a custom college prep program for underprivileged high school students in Denver.
- Surprise visit to Anschutz Children’s Hospital– Cheer up sick kids by signing autographs.
- Make-a-Wish Sporting Affair– Raise money for the Make-a-Wish foundation.
- Brought Make-a-Wish kids to a Broncos’ practice and introduced them to their favorite players.
- Led and organized a group of players for a Thanksgiving Salvation Army meal prep that served 1500 homeless a Thanksgiving dinner.
- Phone call to cheer up Loralai, a four-year-old terminally ill Broncos fan with only a few days to live.
- Wrote a Letter to a group of Marine Broncos fans to encourage them to complete basic training.
- Made a video on Resiliency to lower suicide rates in the military.
- Salute to fans tour– A road trip around Colorado thanking fans who are unable to travel to Denver to meet players. (Team required)
- Played in a charity basketball game in Wyoming to help raise money.
- Surprise visit to East Middle School’s special education class to inspire them to keep working hard.
- Spoke at a school on the importance of ending bullying.
- Dance judge for a group of cheerleader hopefuls before they tried out to give them a realistic look at what tryouts would be like.
- Visit with a family of a terminally ill soldier in his final hours to support them in a tough time.
- Paid for a Church to be built in South Sudan in a region where no churches have ever been.
- DPS future football championships, helped coach a middle school team during their championship game and gave them a half time speech.
Ben In The News
Former Denver Broncos coach John Fox, whose father was a U.S. Navy SEAL, always lauded Ben Garland's vocational tenacity. Fox consistently said Garland's chances of contributing with the Broncos were never out of the question because he was "trained by the best in the...
Run, Ben Garland, run. Shelley Smith, the former Colorado State Ram, may have NFL starting experience and a starter-like $2 million salary. But in the Denver Broncos' new zone-blocking scheme that asks linemen to get out and run into open spaces, there might not be a...
With the Super Bowl having crowned a world champion, the NFL off-season is officially underway. But for Broncos guard Ben Garland, there is no off-season. The former Air Force Falcon took 9News Sports Reporter Aaron Matas on a behind-the-scenes tour of what daily life is like for Garland…
Beneath a postcard-worthy Colorado sky, with sun-splashed, snowcapped mountains framing the world around him, Denver Broncos guard Ben Garland is focused on his instructor for the day. Garland, in his usual spot in the front row…
The Denver Broncos have selected guard Ben Garland as their Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year award recipient, it was announced Thursday morning at a team…