Captain Benjamin N. Garland is a public affairs officer in the Colorado Air National Guard. As a traditional guardsman, he leads Airmen assigned to the 140th Wing Public Affairs office in Aurora, Colo. As a public affairs officer for the Colorado National Guard, Garland is responsible for maintaining the reputable image of the Colorado National Guard throughout the state and nation by planning and coordinating press releases and tours; responding to media queries; and preparing and posting command information.
Garland began his military career at the U.S. Air Force Academy in 2010, graduating as a distinguished graduate in Systems Engineering Management. Upon graduation Garland was signed by the Denver Broncos on a three year contract and invited to attended Training camp after completing training camp; he was assigned to the athletic Department at U.S. Air Force Academy as a strength and conditioning coach and later to the 375th Air Mobility Wing Public Affairs at Scott Air Force Base as a public affairs officer. Garland conducted media engagements, developed the 2012 air show marketing plan, created in house public affairs awards program, conducted leadership training sessions, coordinated media for domestic hurricane relief efforts, initiated new photo approval policy, and coordinated a pro racquetball event. Garland also attended Defense Information School at Fort Meade Md. while stationed at Scott and graduated in the top 10% of his Public Affairs Officer Qualification Course.
In 2011, Garland managed an award winning team, winning 25 Air Force/Air Mobility Command media awards, earned 3 Air Mobility Command individual awards and one team award. He also led news operations to earn 1st place for both public website and social media at the Air Force level.
Garland joined the Colorado Air National Guard in May 2012 as a traditional guardsman.
- June 2006 – May 2010, Cadet, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- May 2010 – October 2010, Strength and Conditioning Coach, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- October 2010 – November 2010, Student, Air Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, AL
- November 2010 – June 2011, Strength and Conditioning Coach, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- June 2011 – October 2011, Public Affairs Officer, 375th Air Mobility Wing, Scott Air Force Base, IL
- October 2011 – December 2011, student, Joint Public Affairs Officer Course, Defense Information School, Fort Meade, Md.
- December 2011 – May 2012, Public Affairs Officer, 375th Air Mobility Wing, Scott Air Force Base, IL
- May 2012 – Present, Public Affairs Officer, 140th Wing, Colorado Air National Guard, Buckley Air Force Base, Aurora, Colo.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
- Air Force Distinguished Service Medal Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
- National Defense Service Medal
- Air Force Training Ribbon
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS & AFFILIATIONS:
- United States Air Force Academy Association of Graduates
- NFL Players Association
- 2009 All Colorado, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- 2009 Academic All conference, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- 2009 2nd Team All conference, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- 2010 Brian Bullard Award, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- 2010 Most Valuable Player, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- 2010 Systems Engineering Distinguished graduate, United States Air Force Academy, Colo.
- 2010 Training camp Iron man, Denver Broncos, Colo.
- 2011 1st Place, Social Media, U.S. Air Force
- 2011 1st Place, Public Website, U.S. Air Force 2012 7 x Scout team player of the week, Denver Broncos, Colo.
- 2012 Walter Peyton Ambassador Award, Denver Broncos, Colo.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
- Second Lieutenant May 2010
- First Lieutenant May 2012